Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bowdler Sucks



First we had the substitution of the word "slave" for the word "nigger" and "Indian" for "Injun" in a new bowdlerized version of the Mark Twain classic "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." And now we have the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council ordering the deletion of the word "faggot" from the Dire Straits song "Money for Nothing."

Personally, I am aghast at these acts of censorship. As far as I’m concerned, we all should be able to say and do pretty much whatever we want. That’s what freedom is all about, after all.

It’s not as if I’m going to mouth off and call everyone a ****ing idiot. Nor do I intend to make frequent use of such degrading insults as son-of-a-b**** and ****sucker.

I recognize as much as the next fellow that freedom of speech does not give you the right to yell **** in a crowded theater. And that my right to protest by using my **** as I see fit ends at the beginning of your ****.


There are some words and phrases that are better left unsaid in public: **** my ****, **** your **** and you **** *****, for example. Not that anyone should be precluded from using such ***** so long as ***** are aware of the ******* that they can **.

Let’s be ***** about this. Few of ** have ***** up without hearing all manner of ***** and ******. What harm will ** do if ** allow some ***** in publicly **ing **** on **** occasions?


Personally, I thank *** and all the ***** for the ***** to ***** and ****** in public any time I want. And that includes *******ing ***** and ***** in ****papers and ****zines. Not to mention ********* and *****.


If ** can’t *****, ***** and ******* when we feel so inclined, then where’s the ***** in ******** a **** society and a **** of ******? Our *****ing ******* did not ****** this ******** so that **** and ***** could just **** **** ******* and ********.


So ****** join with me and ****** ****** ******** and ** ******** you *** to ******** our precious **********.
***** you for ******ing.

No comments: